Ever since seeing ADORABLE animal crackers on “101cookbooks”, I’ve had a hankering to make them.
I found another recipe seeing as I wasn’t feeling the almond meal, coconut products or cane sugar.
After some tweeking, I was ready to make animals!
And well, in typical StephanieFashion, they looked a little more like a field of mangled zoo animal corpses.
And, well, the good people at Wilton decided that an Ark would make cute cookies and while they were right…
However they may look, Bailey was more then willing to run QC.
Underfunded Zoo Crackers
2 cups sugar
2 cups oats (I used instant)
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup buttermilk (and a little more)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour (I used whole wheat)
* Mix sugar, oats and soda until blended.
* Slowly add shortening, mixing until crumbly
* Slowly add buttermilk and vanilla
* Slowly add flour until lumpy
* Add a bit more buttermilk until a thick/firm dough is formed
* Lightly coat a cutting surface and rolling pin with flour
* Roll some dough out and cut shapes
* Transfer cut-outs to a WELL GREASED baking sheet. Seriously, these things will stick like dog snot on window if you don’t properly lubricate.
* Bake at 350 for 8-15 minutes. They’re done when they are brown and a firm to the touch.
* Transfer to a rack for cooling.